About Me

Well, I've been around for 19 years now. I'm a Marine at NAS Pensacola as an AME student, that's basically HVAC and ejection seat categories on fighters. I was born in Howard Co. MD and was raised in the small rural town of Jefferson MD. My interests include Auto mechanics, Motorcycles, Civil War History (primarily Antietam) I have until May 4th here in Pensacola and I don't know from there! Some people choose college, I chose the Marine Corps, I've lived in 4 different states in the last 6 months now. Oorah!

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Last Thursday of the Month

So last Thursday of the month, Thursday is field day and to those that don't know what field day in the Marine Corps is, its where you clean your room so thoroughly someone (such as the inspecting SGT) comes through with a white glove and can't find any dust. Well being the last Thursday of the month that makes tomorrow the last Friday of the month, obviously. Well the uniform of the day here at NAS Pensacola is service charlies on the last Friday, one of the more dress uniforms. Well at boot camp I was issued all my uniforms but we got them in the wrong part of the year so they went on standby in the uniform bag. Fast forward 4 months, after staying in the uniform bag through the rest of boot camp and MCT they were finally resurrected and hung up in my wall locker. Now, 2 months later I need to wear them. A wrinkled uncreased disaster they took up much of my evening being prepared, time needed to be cleaning my room. Well after my shower, i put my room mate (Campbell) in a headlock all in good fun. His reaction was to flail like an idiot and threw me right into the padlock loop (I don't know the exact name of what I am trying to define so I will take a picture and post it below) but it cut me pretty good. Next thing to do that is not cleaning is to go to the quarterdeck (lobby) and ask the SDO for a band aid, he looked with no luck and gave me some toilette paper. Getting back to my room, my room mate (a certified combat lifesaver[Wise, not Campbell]) decided using GermX to disinfect it. The result was me cursing like a sailor, but at least its disinfected? So we than decided to look up funny videos on You Tube. Don't forget that our room has yet to be cleaned...and its quarter after 9, granted we keep our room really clean but dust is inevitable. This is more or less the side of the Corps that you do not usually see but is also just as necessary to our well being. I do not really know when our room will be cleaned but i guarantee you this, before our 7:30 (yes we get to sleep in tomorrow) room inspection it will be immaculate.

Soo! We're in Unit 4 now in school, which is Liquid O2. A small bottle of LOX is 10x more volatile than a stick of dynamite, just a side note to let you know what I'm working with now. The method of transportation and filling LOX is all done by the LOX cart. A LOX cart is about 8 feet long by 3 feet wide, has a 50 gallon storage tank, a 15 liter transfer tank and about 30 valves all of which I have to memorize the names of I.E. Transfer tank filler vent line valve. The whole reason behind the existence of the cart is to fill the LOX converter! The LOX converter looks like an old school dive helmet painted green and its primary goal is to convert Liquid Oxygen into breathable gaseous oxygen, for pilots. The video which I happened to see "The Man from LOX" is an instructional video they used to show Airmen (not AF airmen but sailors in the aviation side are also airmen) in the 70's BE ADVISED IT IS GRAPHIC AT THE END! I will post the URL at the bottom of the page.

I guess I'm going to leave off now, but I will leave on this. Passed my Unit 3 test with a decent high 80s score. I'm on the heels of number one in class, but I'll soon take his class standing! Thanks for reading and stay tuned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9sIT6P_05I URL for the Man from LOX video

Thats what happens when i get flailed into this VVVVVVVV

Good times :)

2 comments:

  1. I liked the LOX video. Those 1970s era training films bring back a lot of memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That loop is called a "hasp". The right word always makes for a better accident report.

    Mannie

    ReplyDelete